mame.net

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Stage 18: A View To A Kill

After about a solid week of limited testing with myself and some concerned friends (aka, people who want to play video games), it's become clear that the 19" television I picked up on the cheap from Canadian Tire wasn't going to cut it in the long run.


It works fine, but the resolution is really quite terrible, a fact exacerbated by the fact that I have my 17" computer monitor running a cloned display simultaneously off to the side for doing the text-heavy setup work, and everything is a lot crisper and nicer on it. It wasn't a big deal to me, but after a couple of "wow, too bad the main screen isn't that crisp" comments, I knew I had to track down a better alternative.

After some dabbling around the usual Halifax computer shop websites, I came across a tantalizing advert for some used CRT monitors at PC Medic. After some fun emails back and forth with their drones, I learned they had a 19" ViewQuest CRT monitor that I could take off their hands for a mere $99. After learning it was BEIGE (beige being the greatest color in the history of the universe) and that it measured about the same as the TV did (and thus would fit into the cabinet) I told them to hold it and that I'd come and collect on Saturday.

So it remains to be seen if this beast will indeed fit into the cabinet, and how much a difference it will actually make. Stay tuned for details.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Zinck said...

Sweet! I hope the whole story does not come to a "fiery conclusion"!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

It's unlikely, as this is a PC monitor and not the aforementioned ticking time bomb arcade monitor, but I guess we'll have to wait and see ...

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home