mame.net

Friday, September 22, 2006

Those Magnificent Bastards

Came across this while cruising my usual vidya game websites and blogs:The X-Arcade Tankstick

Yeah, it's a honking big Dual Joystick just like the one currently in my MAME cabinet, but it's much wider, heavier and has a trackball in the middle for playing games like Golden Tee Golf, Centipede, Missile Command and more.

Another shot, showing the size difference between this new beheomoth and my current setup:

Tankstick dimensions: 29.5" W x 13" L x 20lbs weight
Dual Joystick dimensions: 24.25" W x 11.25" L x 12lbs weight

That things is heavy as shit compared to my current stick. Apparently it also has an extra set of pinball buttons on each side, meaning a total of two buttons on the left and two on the right:
My Current Inkling: At $199.99 US, this thing is not cheap. Plus I'd be concerned about making this thing fit into my current setup, as it would almost certainly mean doing some cutting into the frame. On the other hand, I would like a trackball for my machine, and this would clearly be the easiest way to do it.

I'm gonna have to take some measurements and think about it. Right now, this would clearly rank as such on my Things To Do List for the machine:
1 - Get new monitor for machine (hopefully this Saturday)
2 - Get new PC for machine from Mike Ward (hopefully next week)
3 - Spend some $$$ making my machine look purdy (marquee, bezel, sanding, etc)
4 - Investigate this new bejesus controller of doom.
5 - Play the shit out of my machine.

Should make for an interesting dilemma. BTW, WTF is up with the name "Tankstick"? Man alive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris McLaren said...

Do it!

DO it! Do it! Do it!

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that "do it" song should be the official song of the HGPA.

Also... DO IT!

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home